Faculty Expert Profile
- Professor of the Practice in Health Policy and Management
- Vice Dean for Public Health Practice and Community Engagement, Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Bloomberg American Health Initiative
- Center for Drug Safety and Effectiveness
- Center for Population Health Information Technology (CPHIT)
- School of Medicine
Joshua Sharfstein frequently writes and comments on the opioid crisis. He is director of the Bloomberg American Health Initiative, which seeks to address addiction and overdose across the country.
He co-hosts the Public Health On Call podcast, which was created in the early days of COVID-19 to make credible, scientific expertise accessible to the public in quick, clear, and informative conversations. He is the co-author of "The Opioid Epidemic: What Everyone Needs to Know" (Oxford University Press, 2019) and is the author of 2018's "The Public Health Crisis Survival Guide," a look at how to improve leadership during difficult circumstances.
Previously Sharfstein served as the Secretary of the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene; the Principal Deputy Commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration; Commissioner of Health for Baltimore City; and health policy advisor for Congressman Henry A. Waxman.