About Johns Hopkins Magazine
How long has Johns Hopkins Magazine been around?
The first issue of Johns Hopkins Magazine landed in readers’ mailboxes in 1950, marking the birth of a new kind of magazine. Published for the graduates, faculty, and friends of a leading university, it was conceived to give readers intellectual nourishment, and over the years has featured thought-provoking and sometimes controversial articles on topics ranging from particle physics to student unrest. The magazine’s founding editor was alumnus Corbin Gwaltney, who was also the founding editor of The Chronicle of Higher Education.
Who receives Johns Hopkins Magazine?
The magazine mails to over 120,000 people four times each year. Johns Hopkins alumni comprise about 75 percent of that total. The remaining 25 percent includes faculty, senior staff, parents of current students, and friends (i.e., donors) of the university. All of these readers receive the magazine free of charge.
Where does the magazine get its funding?
The magazine gets a good portion of its support from the university. In addition, reader donations account for about 20 percent of the overall budget; local and national advertising account for about 15 percent. Subscriptions are available for $20 per year ($25 overseas). For subscription information contact: email@example.com.
What makes a good story for Johns Hopkins Magazine?
There needs to be a Hopkins link. Beyond that, there’s no hard-and-fast recipe. We run profiles about alumni doing fascinating things: wildlife ecologists, figurative painters, media moguls. Excerpts from books written by Hopkins authors. In-depth reports on cutting-edge research being done by faculty and students. Historical looks at people and events that shaped Hopkins. News stories about events shaping Hopkins today.
How do you come up with story ideas?
By canvassing the university’s many campuses and divisions: chatting with faculty members, showing up at poetry readings and engineering symposiums, going to alumni events, hanging out with students, and keeping current on the many publications that come out of the university. Some of our best story ideas come from faculty, students, and alumni who pick up the phone or drop us a note.
Do you run contributions from readers and/or freelance writers?
Though the magazine’s freelance budget is limited, we do make some freelance assignments—most often when a writer approaches us with a great idea. (When we come up with a great idea, someone on the staff usually grabs it first.) We also welcome contributions from readers, though it’s prudent to call or write the editor first (firstname.lastname@example.org), with a description of what you have in mind.
Meet the Staff
DALE KEIGER is the editor of Johns Hopkins Magazine. He joined the magazine’s staff in 1992 and covers fine arts, engineering, public health, business, and athletics. A 1976 summa cum laude graduate of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism at Ohio University, his work has appeared in many national publications, including The New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Travel & Leisure, BusinessWeek, Connoisseur, and Advertising Age. He has also taught numerous nonfiction writing courses for the Johns Hopkins Writing Seminars and is a frequent presenter at writer’s conferences.
Since earning a bachelor’s degree in anthropology from Johns Hopkins University, BRET McCABE has written about music and film for The Met magazine in Dallas, visual art in Texas’ ArtLies, arts and culture for the Baltimore City Paper, pop music for the New York Sun, and a small handful of other newspapers, magazines, and websites. He joined Johns Hopkins Magazine as the senior humanities writer in 2011.
JEANETTE DER BEDROSIAN is the assistant editor of Johns Hopkins Magazine and a communications specialist within the university’s Office of Communications. Before coming to Johns Hopkins, she worked as the associate editor of Washington Parent magazine and as a Montgomery County, Maryland, reporter for The Washington Post Company’s Gazette newspapers. Her writing has appeared in USA Today, The Washington Post, and Maryland’s The Daily Record, among others. She holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism and American studies from the University of Maryland.
PAM LI is the art director for Johns Hopkins Magazine. Prior to coming to Johns Hopkins, she was an art director with Waldinger Birch Inc., a marketing and communications firm. Prior to that she was a freelance designer for six years. Pam holds a BFA from the Maryland Institute College of Art.
ANN STILLER is a copy editor who works for many publications, including The Gazette, Johns Hopkins Magazine, and the magazines of five JHU divisions, as well as a variety of materials produced by Design Services. Ann has a BA from Smith College, an MAT from Harvard School of Education, and an MLA from Johns Hopkins. She has been with the university 26 years.