Faculty Expert Profile
- Department of Health Policy and Management
- William C. and Nancy F. Richardson Professor
- Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Johns Hopkins Center for Health Disparities Solutions
- Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research
Gaskin is a health services researcher and health economist who is internationally known for his expertise in health disparities, access to care for vulnerable populations, and safety net hospitals. He seeks to identify and understand barriers to care for vulnerable populations, and to develop and promote policies and practices that will improve access to care for the poor, minorities and other vulnerable populations, and to eliminate racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in health care.
His current projects explore the nexus of race, poverty, and place and their impact on health and healthcare disparities particularly the effectiveness of "place-based" interventions for underserved populations and racial/ethnic and socioeconomic disparities in hospital care.