The changes to the JHU retirement plans are now complete, and the blackout period is over. Anyone with savings that have moved from prior recordkeepers to TIAA can now view and make changes to all transferred balances within the new accounts at TIAA. The university thanks you for your cooperation and patience as these changes took effect to streamline and optimize its retirement plans. These changes will not only lower costs for plan participants, but the new menu of investment options and the transition to a sole recordkeeper also will reduce complexity, making it easier to save and invest.
What happened during the transition?
As a reminder, these key activities occurred earlier this year:
- A new investment menu was introduced.
- New TIAA accounts were issued.
- Beneficiaries were all set to the plan default the first week of June. Each plan participant should update beneficiaries now for each new account that was issued, if not already done.
- Retirement plan savings were transferred from existing TIAA accounts to new TIAA accounts (mutual funds only; annuities remain in prior accounts).
- Retirement plan savings held at prior recordkeepers American Century, Fidelity, Vanguard, and T. Rowe Price were transferred to new TIAA accounts.
If you had investments in funds that were eliminated from the plans for your current savings and/or your future retirement plan contributions, they were transferred into the Vanguard Target Date Fund based on your date of birth. You can change these investments at any time by logging into your account(s) from the JHU Benefits website.
What happens now?
Now that all your savings are with TIAA, you can view your full retirement plan balance by logging into your TIAA account from the JHU Benefits website. From this one location, you can:
- Make investment changes to your current balance or future contributions.
- Review or change your beneficiary information.
- View statements for all JHU retirement plan savings.
- Access retirement and financial planning tools and resources.
You may consider scheduling time to meet with the university's independent investment adviser, Marsh McLennan Agency. Visit the MMA Prosper Wise website and click Talk With a Coach on the top right-hand corner. The service is free to JHU employees.
You also may schedule a one-on-one financial consultation with a local representative from TIAA. Click here to learn more and schedule. This service is also free.
The university is committed to providing the support you need on your path to and through retirement. If you have any questions, contact the JHU Benefits Service Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-516-2000, weekdays, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., or contact the JHU Retirement Center at TIAA at 888-200-4074, weekdays, 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.