Courtesy of Carefirst BlueCross BlueShield and Aetna's Resources for Living
A new year provides the perfect opportunity to set goals that support a healthier version of you. Around this time, many of us create plans for the new year that we know will help us live longer and feel better. A few popular examples include increasing physical activity, eating healthier, and reducing stress. Yet only a small portion of us follow through.
What is the secret to making these resolutions stick?
The answer: healthy habits and goal setting that is SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, relevant, timebound). Making the healthy choice isn't always easy, and setbacks can be frustrating. The good news is that there are plenty of strategies you can use to set yourself up for success in 2022.
- Know your habits. To change your behavior, you must be aware of what you already do regularly.
- Make a plan. Set SMART goals and jot down specific actions that will get you to achieve them. Need help setting SMART goals? Go to Aetna's Resources for Living website to watch a short video; user name and password are both JHU.
- Think about the future and how these small daily changes will enhance your quality of life. Go to Aetna's Resources for Living website to listen to the Create a Roadmap for the Future podcast; user name and password are both JHU.
- Be patient. Try out different strategies until you find what works best for you.
Johns Hopkins resources
Benefits and wellness
Be sure to access resources within your health insurance carrier to support your goals as well as benefits offered through JHU Wellness programs and the Office of Benefits & Worklife.
Mindfulness with BurnAlong: Top-5 meditation and mindfulness classes under 10 minutes
Are meditation and mindfulness on your SMART goals list? Are you looking for some quick classes to get you started? Take a look at these led by some of BurnAlong's best instructors (and don't forget that you can view them with your colleagues or family/friends):
- Gratitude Meditation (5 minutes)
- Intro to Mindfulness (3 minutes)
- CCPT Meditation Series Part 3: Vision (10 minutes)
- #1 Best Stress Reduction Technique—5-5-7 Breathe Exercise (7 minutes)
- Mental Health 101—What is Mindfulness? (3 minutes)
Go to your free BurnAlong account and search for these classes and more. If you have not yet set up your account, sign up here. There is something for everyone on BurnAlong. Check out additional curated classes on topics such as healthy aging and nutrition.
If you need help in reducing stress in the new year, Johns Hopkins' employee assistance program, mySupport, is here for you and your household members 24/7, 365 days a year. Call mySupport at 443-997-7000, option 2, for free, confidential help and referrals.
Visit the mySupport website powered by Aetna's Resources for Living at resourcesforliving.com; user name and password are both JHU.