As we move through the holidays and into the new year, it's a great time to strategize renewing our commitment to our overall health and well-being.
One size does not fit all when it comes to wellness and, more specifically, weight management. The university's Office of Benefits & Worklife highlights below the numerous programs that can support you in your weight-loss journey.
As you begin, be sure to set clear goals for yourself. Are your goals: Realistic? Attainable? Concrete? Positive? Motivating? Measurable? If you need help developing your goals, read Goal Setting Basics from Aetna Resources for Living.
WW (formerly Weight Watchers)
The university partners with WW to offer a discounted rate to employees. For weight management and fitness program discounts, learn more about the newly launched WW's PersonalPoints Program for 2022.
You may find sign-up fees waived for the Noom weight-loss program and for gyms across the U.S. through LifeMart, a free employee discount program. Go to discountmember.lifecare.com and use the registration code JOHNSHOPKINS to start saving.
Use BurnAlong, the university's online fitness and wellness program, to put together your own unique wellness regimen. Find classes on behavior change, nutrition, and fitness as well as challenges and multiday self-guided programs such as those described below. Within the BurnAlong platform you can also find supportive communities such as Pound It Out: Weight Management or Eat Well to Be Well.
BurnAlong has streamlined the website's look and updated its functionality. Learn about what's new here and sign up for your account here.
Among the programs you'll find:
- 7-Day Holiday Nutrition Reset: Eating With Ease and Joy During the Holidays. Prepare mind, body, and soul for a healthy, happy holiday season with this seven-day series on how to best approach nutrition over the holidays and beyond.
- 7-Day Fitness Jumpstart. Start your fitness journey off on the right foot with this at-home bootcamp-style seven-day jumpstart. You will be guided through daily 30-minute workouts that are perfect for any fitness level and guaranteed to get you results.
- 8-Week Weight Loss: Momentum. Momentum is an eight-week weight-loss program that combines full-body cardio, bootcamp, and kickboxing-based workouts with targeted ab, arm, leg, and glute exercises to help you build strength and lose weight. By sweating it out for 15 to 50 minutes, three times a week, you'll tighten your core, tone your arms, and get the buttocks that you want.
Insurance carrier programs
Your health insurance carrier is a good resource for personalized weight management support plus access to other features such as gym discounts, education webinars, and more. Highlighted below are offerings through the university's two largest insurance carriers.
- CareFirst participants: Check out 365 Fitness Your Way, which gives you access to thousands of participating gyms in your area and nationwide with just one membership. This is a limited-time offer through Dec. 31, 2021.
- EHP participants: Take advantage throughout the year of free adult weight management webinars such as Healthy Holidays and Let's Get Physical. You also can find information on health education topics such as blood pressure, diabetes, sleep, and stress management.
Importance of weight management for cancer patients
Cancer and its treatments often affect eating habits and weight. And because weight gain or loss can affect treatment and outcome, it's important for patients to manage what they eat and drink. The JH Work Stride: Managing Cancer at Work oncology nurse navigator can provide information and guidance about weight management; to connect, call 844-446-6229 or email ManageCancer@jh.edu.
Posted in Benefits+Perks, Health+Well-Being
Tagged hr newwswire