April 30, 2020, is the deadline for submitting 2019 claims to WageWorks for your health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts. Eligible expenses must have been incurred from Jan. 1 to Dec. 31, 2019.
There are three ways you can submit your claims to WageWorks:
- WageWorks EZ Receipts is quick and convenient and is compatible with an iPhone and Android mobile device.
- You also can go online, enter your claim, and upload your receipt for payment.
- Or you can submit a paper Pay Me Back form to receive reimbursement. Claims must be postmarked or submitted by fax to WageWorks no later than April 30, 2020.
If you currently have any debit card purchases from your 2019 health care FSA that require backup documentation, these charges also need to be substantiated by April 30, 2020. The IRS requires supporting documentation to make sure all monies used are for eligible medical transactions. If documentation is not submitted by the filing deadline, the amount will be added to your 2020 W-2 to be taxed as ordinary income.
You can log into your WageWorks account to see if you have any outstanding claims that require documentation before they can be cleared. Acceptable backup documentation includes an itemized invoice from the provider or your explanation of benefits, or EOB, from the insurance carrier. Any supporting documentation provided must include the following:
- Name of patient
- Name of provider or merchant
- Date service received or item purchased
- Description of service received or item purchased
- Dollar amount (after insurance, if applicable)
If you did not spend all the money in your 2019 health care FSA by the end of the calendar year, up to $500 of your unused balance will automatically roll over to your 2020 health care or limited purpose FSA with Discovery Benefits, which has replaced WageWorks as the administrator for Johns Hopkins' health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts. The carryover amount will be deposited into your Discovery Benefits FSA before May 30 (after the April 30 deadline for 2019 WageWorks claims).
Any remaining funds over $500 from your 2019 health care FSA, as well as any remaining dependent care FSA balance, will be forfeited. For 2019 claim questions, contact WageWorks at 877-924-3967.
Posted in Benefits+Perks, Health+Well-Being
Tagged hr newswire