We've covered the top Hub news stories of 2013, but the Hub offers more than news.
This list looks at the top 10 feature stories of 2013—we think if them as long reads (some much longer than others).
These are leisurely morning-coffee reads, curl-up-with-a-cup-of-tea-in-front-of-the-fireplace reads, the sorts of stories you've been setting aside for months, meaning to come back to, but never quite finding the time. We've pulled them together into a nice tidy list in the hope that, as 2013 winds down, you can find a few quiet moments to read some of our top feature stories from the past year.
10. Bringing back the Parkway Theatre | Feb. 1, 2013 | 1,536 words Three players partner to create a 21st-century complex for film, live performance, and academics
9. Swimmer Anastasia Bogdanovski is living out her dream | Jan. 1, 2013 | 1,348 words Competing for her adopted home country of Macedonia, JHU sophomore has been setting national records
8. Three soon-to-be graduates share their Johns Hopkins journeys | May 4, 2013 | 2,472 words With graduation near, the Gazette sits down with three undergraduates—two traditional, one not so—to discuss how the Johns Hopkins experience changed them and what the future holds.
7. Future brain scientist shines for nationally ranked JHU football team | Nov. 1, 2013 | 1,398 words Neuroscience major John Arena carries perfect GPA, leads the Blue Jays defense
6. Johns Hopkins junior dips into chocolate business with launch of Jama Cocoa | Oct. 30, 2013 | 863 words Jamasen Rodriguez, an economics major at Johns Hopkins, recently opened his first chocolate shop, a small store named Jama Cocoa located in downtown Arbutus, Md.
5. A same-sex couple's struggle to adopt | Sept. 10, 2013 | 3,075 words Michael George, SAIS '03, and Chad Lord have spent five years trying to adopt a child. They're not giving up.
4. Think before you swim | _March 5, 2013 | 3,904 words George Kennedy trains swimmers' bodies. But to really help them go fast, he trains their minds.
3. Hey kid, what do you know? | June 3, 2013 | 3,609 words Researchers in the Johns Hopkins Laboratory for Child Development explore the minds of infants and children
2. Johns Hopkins unveils new Undergraduate Teaching Labs | Aug. 1, 2013 | 985 words The 105,000-square-foot facility, which opened in September, brings together under one roof undergraduate labs and faculty in the departments of Chemistry, Biology, Biophysics, and Psychological and Brain Sciences; and the undergraduate Neuroscience program.
1. The changing face of East Baltimore | Jan. 1, 2013 | 2,966 words A new mixed-use neighborhood rises just north of university's medical campus
Posted in University News