Johns Hopkins encourages employees to plan ahead for tax season by signing up to receive an electronic W-2 form, which many people find to be more convenient, secure, and timely than receiving a paper W-2 in the mail. It takes only a few simple steps to provide your permission now, and your form will be available for you to access online starting in mid-January.
If you consented via the Employee Self-Service (ESS) system to receive an electronic W-2 in 2017 or later, you will continue to receive your form electronically without taking any additional action. If you have not consented to electronic delivery since 2016, you can select your W-2 delivery preferences before Dec. 31.
Steps to select electronic W-2 delivery
To sign up for electronic W-2 delivery:
- Access the ESS website through my.jh.edu.
- Open the HR section and select the Employee Self Service (ESS) icon.
- Click on the blue Login to ESS button at the top of the page. Note that this page requires an additional login step using Azure Multi-Factor Authentication. If you have not yet signed up for Azure MFA, information about it and a sign-up link are on the MFA Resource Center website.
- Click the W-2 Information link.
- On the next screen, click the Online W-2 Election link.
- On the following screen, next to the Overview of Elections header, click the New Election button.
- Under the Overview of Elections section, click on the row that states current Election Period Open. This will open the Election Details section at the bottom of the page.
- Click on Receive W-2 Online to initiate the consent to receive your W-2 electronically.
- You will be presented with a confirmation pop-up box asking you to confirm your election. If you wish to proceed, click OK to confirm your consent. A message reading Data Saved Successfully will appear at the top of the page just below the Election for Online W-2/W-2c title. Be sure to note that there is more information on the page under Additional Information.
When your W-2 is available in January, you will receive an email directing you to sign into ESS to view and print the form.
Important information regarding your permanent mailing address
If you prefer to receive your W-2 by mail, you should confirm your mailing address in ESS in order to ensure safe delivery. On the ESS overview page, click the Personal Information link followed by the Permanent Address link. Update your information if necessary.
If you leave Johns Hopkins before W-2s are issued in January, you will get a paper copy even if you asked for an electronic one. Be sure to check your mailing address before you leave to ensure safe and timely delivery of your W-2.
For more information and step-by-step instructions, visit the W-2 forms information webpage on the HR/Payroll Shared Services website.
Posted in News+Info