Lucine Francis, an assistant professor, has been selected to participate in the Academy Jonas Policy Scholars program, which provides participants with a two-year experience focused on mentoring, policy, and engagement. Francis studies childhood obesity and food environments among young children.
Shawna Mudd, an associate professor, and Brigit Vangraafeiland, an assistant professor, received Outstanding Advanced Practice Clinical Awards from the Maryland Nurses Association at the MNA's 16th annual conference in November.
Cynda Hylton Rushton, an endowed professor at the School of Nursing and the Berman Institute of Bioethics, is the recipient of the Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing (Sigma) 2019 Daniel J. Pesut Spirit of Renewal Award. It is given to a nurse leader whose purposeful reflection in practice and mindful understanding of human relationships displays a futuristic vision for nursing practice. Read more here.
Lauren Underwood, a School of Nursing alumna and U.S. congresswoman, has earned Johns Hopkins' Woodrow Wilson Award for Distinguished Government Service. The award honors alumni who have brought recognition to the university by their current or recently concluded distinguished public service as elected or appointed officials. Read more here.
The Johns Hopkins School of Nursing recognized outstanding nurses, preceptors, faculty, students, and staff at its eighth annual Evening With the Stars event on Nov. 2. Franklyn Baker, president and CEO of United Way of Central Maryland, served as emcee. The Star Awards and their recipients were:
- Elsie Peyton Jarvis Star Nurse Award: Philomena Costabile, Johns Hopkins Children's Center
- Suzanne Concato Nurse Preceptor Award: Michael Mugo, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center
- School of Nursing Diversity Award: Yvonne Commodore-Mensah, assistant professor
- Linda Davies Versic Faculty Award: Catherine Ling, Family Nurse Practitioner track coordinator
- Staff Excellence Award: Sabrina Scarborough, associate director, Campus Operations
- Eunice King Student Nurse Award: Courtney E. Garry, Doctor of Nursing Practice Program
- Rosenwald ICU Star Nurse of the Year Award: Amy L. Stewart, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Rosenwald Nursing Innovation Award: Michelle Patch, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Alumni Association Heritage Award: Elsie Peyton Jarvis
- Diversity Trailblazer Awards: Jason E. Farley, professor; and Fannie G. Gaston-Johansson, professor emerita
- Dean's Award: Morris Range
Net proceeds benefited the school's Baltimore Talent Scholars Program, which provides four full-tuition scholarships for Baltimore City Public Schools graduates who have been admitted to the Master of Science in Nursing Entry into Nursing Practice program.
The Johns Hopkins School of Nursing received the 2019 Health Professions Higher Education Excellence in Diversity Award from INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine. This is the second year in a row JHSON has received this national honor recognizing the school's outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Posted in News+Info