Going abroad? Remember to register

Image caption: No matter where faculty, staff, and students are heading abroad on university-related travel, they should file their plans with the Johns Hopkins International Travel Registry.

Each year, thousands of faculty, staff, and students at Johns Hopkins University travel abroad to conduct research, to attend or present at conferences, or for other university-related activities.

Before going out of the country, all faculty, staff, and students should remember to register with the Johns Hopkins International Travel Registry. The purpose of the registry is twofold: to better prepare and help Johns Hopkins community members when they are abroad and to help gather important data on university-related worldwide activities.

Those traveling abroad also may consider registering with the U.S. Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. STEP allows U.S. citizens to enroll with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate in order to receive safety and security information, and to help the embassy, family, and friends contact them in case of an emergency.

Go to the CEPAR website for more stories from the Hopkins on Alert newsletter.