Provost's Fellows Program builds leadership skills

Accomplished Johns Hopkins faculty and staff are invited to develop their leadership skills by joining the Provost's Fellows Program for 2015–2016.

Provost Robert C. Lieberman says many highly talented individuals who have experience in research, teaching, community service, and program management have not had the opportunity to focus specifically on developing leadership skills. The fellows program "places these highly talented faculty and staff members in central leadership and administrative positions," he said in a letter to university faculty and staff. "In close collaboration with vice provosts, fellows develop projects that enhance the academic mission of Johns Hopkins."

According to the Provost's website, fellows work on "critical strategic initiatives and projects, designed in conjunction with their individual interests and longer-range career goals. As part of the program, fellows will become familiar with universitywide academic initiatives, strategic planning, budget management, and current trends in higher education."

This year, five Provost's Fellows will be chosen to pursue projects in the areas of faculty diversity, campus community and diversity, management reporting and analytics, education, and undergraduate research. All full-time faculty members, faculty librarians, clinical faculty, and university and APL staff from all academic and professional disciplines of the university are eligible to apply for a Provost's Fellowship. Fellows are chosen based on their experience, interest, and aptitude for academic leadership.

Typically, fellowships are for one or two years, and fellows give 20 percent of their time (one day per week) toward the program, with the other 80 percent spent in their home units. Some former Provost's Fellows have been appointed as vice provosts at Johns Hopkins; others have taken principal leadership positions in academia and private industry, and at the National Institutes of Health.

The deadline for applications is Aug. 14, and fellows are expected to begin by the end of 2015. Information on the program and application process is available on the Office of the Provost website.

Tagged faculty, staff