The study includes two parts, and you can join one or both.
Part 1: Phone-call visit to confirm eligibility and collect medical history, followed by blood sample collection, which can be at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, at Johns Hopkins Hospital, or at home with a special kit
Part 2: Phone-call visit to confirm eligibility and collect medical history, followed by a skin test at the Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center or at Johns Hopkins Hospital
Basic study requirements:
- Be healthy nonpregnant adults age 18-80
- Have either taken and tolerated vancomycin or had an allergic reaction to vancomycin
- Do not currently have any systemic infections or major medical problems
- Have not used systemic corticosteroids, cytotoxic, or immunosuppressive drug therapies within the past 60 days
- Did not use an antihistamine in the week prior to the visit
- Did not use adrenergic drugs or vasopressors 24 hours prior to the visit
Qualified study participants who complete the study can make $35 for part 1 and $70 for part 2. Reimbursement for travel costs will be provided as appropriate. If you think you may be eligible and are interested in participating, call 410-614-2724 or send an email to DDUResearch@jhmi.edu.
Principal investigator: Santiago Alvarez Arango, MD
Protocol number: IRB00153292