Do you know what action you must take in the event of a fire?
Individuals with ADA accommodations and personal emergency action plans must follow their plan. Everyone else must evacuate.
- Rescue and remove individuals in immediate danger.
- PULL THE NEAREST FIRE ALARM if you discover or suspect a fire.
- Close doors to contain smoke/fire.
- Evacuate. Leave the building from the nearest accessible fire exit. Use the stairs. Move 50 feet or more away from buildings.
- From a safe location, call your Campus Public Safety office and provide incident details.
- Do not reenter the building until the "ALL CLEAR" notification has been given by authorities. When in doubt, call your Campus Public Safety office.
In laboratory settings, laboratory personnel are responsible for terminating their experiments and leaving the area in a safe condition. Typical steps taken before evacuating a laboratory include:
- Turning off all gases
- Moving flammable materials to approved storage cabinets
- Securing radioactive materials
- Closing fume hoods
- Turning off biosafety cabinet ventilation
- Fight incipient fires ONLY IF SAFE TO DO SO. Cover with lids, sand, or if trained, use a fire extinguisher.