The Johns Hopkins Doris Duke Early Clinician Investigator Award is funded by the Doris Duke Fund to Retain Clinician Scientists and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. This program is directed by Daniel Ford, MD, MPH, and Gail Daumit, MD, MHS. The program provides supplemental research support to junior faculty clinician scientists who are conducting clinical research with at least 40% of their effort funded, and are facing significant extraprofessional caregiving demands.
The deadline to apply is 5 p.m. on Friday, April 2. The grant provides $30,000 in direct costs over 12 months to each scholar. A second year of funding could be possible depending on research progress and need for and availability of funds.
- Hold an MD, DO, or foreign equivalent degree from an accredited institution and an active U.S. medical license.
- Be a physician scientist with a full-time Instructor or assistant professor faculty appointment at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. (This does not include subspeciality fellows who have been given an instructor title for clinical duties.).
- Demonstrate a compelling, time-sensitive need for the award that is related to being a caregiver. Typically, this would be childcare, partner care, and/or eldercare.
- Have a minimum of 40% effort allocation to research at the time of the application for the supplement.
- Have an active career development award or research grant at the time of the application. The award is intended to supplement research projects; eligible faculty members must have active support for their research projects during the time of the award. Applicants with internal research funding are eligible to apply.
- Show evidence of strong research training and productivity.
- Be conducting an original and rigorous clinical research project that has the potential to address a health issue that poses a significant clinical burden, whether it is a rare or common condition. The grant may not be used to support experiments utilizing non-human animals, or any tissues derived from them.
Please visit the Johns Hopkins Doris Duke Early Clinician Investigator Award website to view information about the use of funds, terms of award, and to apply.
For questions, contact Mia Terkowitz at email@example.com.