The Louis Sudler Prize in the Arts
The Louis Sudler Prize in the Arts is a $1,500 prize awarded for excellence in performance, execution, or composition in one of the arts, which include but are not limited to:
- Music: voice, instrumental, electronic, composition
- Theater + Performance Art: acting, direction/management, design/technical
- Dance: ballet, modern, jazz, tap, ethnic, choreography
- Creative Writing: poetry, fiction, creative non-fiction, drama
- Film + New Media: video production, computer animation
- Visual Art: painting, drawing, photography, ceramics, sculpture, graphic design, printmaking, mixed media, digital media
Students must be in good standing and on track to receive a graduating degree at Commencement. Only individual students may apply. Group applications are not accepted. Louis Sudler's intention was that the Sudler Prize be an avocational award, reserved for highly talented amateurs rather than for pre-professional students in the arts. Students whose major field of study relates to one of the arts may not submit in that category.
The Presidents Commendation for Achievement in the Arts
The President's Commendation for Achievement in the Arts is a service award established in 1989 by former Johns Hopkins President Steven Muller to honor a graduating senior who has contributed extensively to the arts by service to the Homewood and/or Baltimore communities. The winner of the President's Commendation receives a certificate, and his or her name appears in the Commencement program.
Students who want to be considered for both the Sudler Arts Prize and the President's Commendation for Achievement in the Arts must submit two separate applications. The deadline to submit applications for both awards is 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, March 22. More information and detailed instructions can be found on the Sudler Prize website.
For information on eligibility and selection criteria, and application materials for both the Sudler Arts Prize and the President's Commendation for Achievement in the Arts, visit the Sudler Prize website](http://getintothearts.jhu.edu/sudlerprize).