The Maryland Science Olympiad is part of the national Science Olympiad program, where middle school and high school students compete in a wide variety of STEM events. Volunteers run and staff labs, build events, proctor exams, provide logistical support, and more. We cannot exist without volunteers! Morning or afternoon shifts are available.
Volunteers can serve MSO in the following ways:
- WRITE AND PROCTOR EXAMS for academic competitions in such fields as microbiology and astronomy. MSO tournaments normally include 46 competitions, so lots of exams are prepared, administered, and graded.
- DESIGN AND OVERSEE LABS Each tournament consists of lab competitions in the fields of forensics, chemistry, physics, and computers.
- JUDGE team technology and engineering devices. Devices such as robots, towers, catapults, vehicles, and helicopters are designed, constructed, and developed by teams prior to the competition. MSO volunteers oversee the competitions of these devices.
- PROVIDE LOGISTIC SUPPORT Logistics activities include team registration, equipment setup, signage, medical liaison, concessions, and awards presenters.
- HELP AS AN ASSISTANT COACH for a local MSO team. MSO assistant coaches are matched with local schools to assist with coaching duties.
Once you are logged into your account, go to the Events & Tournaments/State Tournament tab to sign up.