Join faculty colleagues from around the state from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 11, at the University of Maryland, College Park, for an introduction to service-learning course design workshop. Dr. Barbara Jacoby, respected author and national workshop presenter on service-learning, will facilitate the workshop.
Topics to be covered include:
- Introduction to service-learning and its basic principles
- How service-learning can help students achieve desired learning outcomes
- How to establish and nurture partnerships with community organizations
- How to engage students in critical reflection
- The many forms of service-learning in the curriculum
- Elements of a service-learning course
- Composing a service-learning syllabus
- From design to implementation: managing the process
You will come away with a Service-Learning Course Design Worksheet that will guide you through the process of developing a new service-learning course or integrating service-learning in a significant new way into an existing course. Many other resources will be provided. No prior knowledge or experience with service-learning is expected.
The cost of the workshop is $65 for Compact members and $95 for nonmembers, including lunch and materials. JHU is a Compact member.
The Center for Social Concern has funds to cover the registration fees for three JHU faculty members. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please email Gia Grier McGinnis at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about the registration fee.
Those not seeking a comped registration fee can register at MDCCC's registration page.
Contact Pat Bassett for questions about registration at email@example.com or 301-696-3280. For more information about the content of the workshop, contact Dr. Barbara Jacoby, firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-314-7253.