In case of fire emergency follow these steps:
If you see or smell fire or if the fire alarm is activated, remember the acronym RACE:
R—Remove yourself from contact with smoke or fire.
A—Alarm: Pull the nearest fire alarm.
C—Call Security at 6-7777 or 911 from a safe location.
E—Evacuate the building.
Do NOT use elevators.
In case of FIRE:
1. Do NOT try to extinguish fire unless you have been trained by JHU
2. If you can, CLOSE fume hood sash(es) even if fire is not in the hood
a. LEAVE the lab immediately; do NOT stop for coats, bags, etc.
b. If you can, NOTIFY the instructor as you leave
c. PULL fire alarm
d. LEAVE the building, do NOT take side trips
4. GO to your designated assembly area if assigned
5. STAY at least 50 feet from the building
6. CONTACT Security at 410-516-7777
7. INSTRUCT students not to leave assembly area
8. CONDUCT a headcount
9. FOLLOW instructor and/or security officer's instructions
In case of PERSON ON FIRE:
2. DROP to the ground.
3. ROLL on the ground to smother the flames.
EVACUATION PROCEDURES All building occupants are required by law and university policy to evacuate immediately when the fire alarm sounds. Exit the building using the emergency exit stairways. Do not use elevators.
Notify JHU Security of anyone who may need assistance evacuating.
Watch the Laboratory Fire excerpt from the documentary film 9 Fires. This film tells of the impact of nine campus-related fires that happened within three weeks in January and February of 2012. Through interviews with victims, families, students, and fire and campus officials, we learn about what happens after the headlines fade. We learn…the rest of the story. This excerpt describes the impact fires have had at the University of Maryland and SUNY.