The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen when you are microwaving, frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave the kitchen for even a short period of time, turn off the oven/stove.
Keep anything that can catch fire—oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, and towels—away from your stovetop.
Always keep a lid nearby when you are cooking. If a small grease fire starts in a pan, smother the flames by carefully sliding the lid over the pan. Turn off the burner. Do not move the pan. To keep the fire from restarting, leave the lid on until the pan is completely cool.
When in doubt, just get out! When you leave, close the door behind you to help contain the fire. After you leave, call JHU Security at 410-516-7777.