Men's lacrosse: Hopkins falls to Maryland in third overtime

Will Snider's goal lifts Terps to 8-7 victory, Big Ten regular-season title

A Maryland attacked looks for room to maneuver against Johns Hopkins

It was heartbreak at Homewood Field for the Johns Hopkins men's lacrosse team on Saturday afternoon as visiting Maryland rallied late in regulation to force extra time, then scored in the third overtime to escape with an 8-7 win in front of an overflow crowd of 10,388 at JHU's home field.

The No. 7 Blue Jays (9-4) overcame a 3-2 halftime deficit to take a 7-5 lead on a goal by Kyle Marr with 9:52 remaining. But the No. 3 Terps (11-2) scored twice in the final 3:32 of regulation to pull even, then won it on a goal by Will Snider 50 seconds into the third OT.

The game marked the 116th meeting between the two rivals since 1895 and was the first to go to three overtimes. With the win, Maryland secured the Big Ten Conference's regular-season title—its fourth in a row—and the top seed in next weekend's league tournament.

A strike from Hopkins freshman Connor DeSimone just 57 seconds into the third quarter jumpstarted a 5-2 second-half scoring run for Blue Jays. Joel Tinney and Alex Concannon each had a pair of goals for JHU, and goalkeeper Brock Turnbaugh finished with eight saves. Complete box score

Logan Wisnauskas paced the Terrapins with three goals and one assist, and Tim Rotanz added two goals and one assist. The Blue Jays defense held Maryland's top two scorers—senior Connor Kelly and Jared Bernhardt—to a combined two assists and 0-for-24 shooting. Terps goalie Dan Morris totaled 13 saves.

Despite the loss, Hopkins earned the No. 2 seed in the Big Ten tournament and will face Ohio State in the semifinals on Thursday at Michigan at 7:30 p.m. The winner will advance to Saturday's championship game to face the winner of a semifinal matchup between Maryland and No. 4 seed Rutgers. All tournament games will be televised on the Big Ten Network.

Posted in Athletics

Tagged men's lacrosse