Faculty Expert Profile
- Chair of the Department of Health Policy and Management
- Fred and Julie Soper Professorship
- Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Johns Hopkins Center for Injury Research and Policy
- Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research
- Center for Mental Health and Addiction Policy Research
Barry's research focuses on how health and social policies can affect a range of outcomes for individuals with mental illness and substance use disorders, including access to medical care and social services, care quality, health care spending, financial protection and mortality.
She is involved in numerous research studies examining the implications of health insurance expansions and health care delivery system reform efforts on the treatment of mental illness and substance use disorders.
She also conducts empirical research to understand how communication strategies influence public attitudes about opioid addiction, mental illness and gun policy. One focus of this work is to identify evidence-based approaches to reducing stigma.