Matt Porterfield reports from Park City

Local filmmaker and Johns Hopkins Film and Media Studies lecturer shows his latest film to Sundance audiences

Matt Porterfield, a lecturer in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences' Film and Media Studies Program, is writer, director, and producer of the films Hamilton (2006) and Putty Hill (2011). Last year he was a featured artist in the Whitney Biennial, a Creative Capital grantee, and the recipient of a Wexner Center Artists Residency. In 2011, he won the annual Janet and Walter Sondheim Artscape Prize.

His most recent film, I Used to Be Darker, is playing this week at the Sundance Film Festival, and Porterfield is chronicling the experience online for Baltimore magazine. "It's incredibly exciting, but also very scary," he writes, "because the stakes are higher and the competition greater."

Other than the certainty of five screenings and a roof over my head, I have no idea what to expect. My hope is that Sundance audiences respond positively to the film. Among them are the press and buyers, as well as many industry tastemakers. These groups will dictate how widely the film will play after Park City. Sundance is a place for discovery, certainly, so I hope this exposure leads to great things for all the talent involved, but particularly the remarkable cast, all of whom are new to the screen.

Read more about Porterfield:

Porterfield Puts Students to Work on Set

Indie Filmmaker's Cell-Phone Photos Land Him in the Baltimore Museum of Art

Tales Unadorned and Told From the Bottom Up

Read more from Baltimore magazine